Introducing The Hay: Pebble Beach’s Reimagined Short Course
PEBBLE BEACH, CALIF – On April 16, Pebble Beach Company unveiled an exciting enhancement to its famed golf portfolio. The Hay, located on the site of the former Peter Hay Golf Course, features a dramatically re-designed nine-hole short course, the Resort’s first-ever putting course, and a new restaurant with an expansive outdoor patio positioned to take in the property’s majestic views of the short course, Carmel Bay and Point Lobos. Created in partnership with golf legend Tiger Woods and his TGR Design firm, The Hay is designed to attract and engage golfers of all abilities and ages.
The Hay carries forward the legacy of its original creator, Peter Hay, long-time Head Professional at both Pebble Beach and Del Monte golf courses. Among Hay’s many attributes was a passion for introducing newcomers, particularly juniors, to the game. In 1957, he was given the unique opportunity to develop one of the country’s first short courses on this precious land. That legacy will continue as juniors age 12 and under will play the short course for free, and all golfers will have access to the putting course for no cost.
Woods has amplified Hay’s vision for the property in a way few could have imagined, having re-routed the short course holes to maximize the magnificent views and celebrate Pebble Beach’s rich history. Every detail lends itself to a fun and unforgettable golf experience for families, beginners, juniors, corporate groups, and avid golfers alike. Among its noteworthy features:
- Hole #2: an exact replica of Pebble Beach Golf Links’ 7th hole, making one of the game’s most iconic holes accessible to more people.
- Each of the other eight holes’ yardage corresponds to a significant year in Pebble Beach history, with plaques on each tee telling the story, such as:
- Hole #4, 47 yards, “Bing”: In 1947, Bing Crosby brought the original Pro-Am tournament to Pebble Beach. The event is now known as the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am and is one of the longest-running and most charitable events on the PGA TOUR.
- Hole #9, 100 yards, “Tiger”: In 2000, Tiger Woods crushed the field at the 100th U.S. Open Championship at Pebble Beach.
- The new putting course, which will rotate regularly through over a dozen different routings, will be the perfect place to introduce a beginner to the game, sharpen the skills of an avid player, or unwind before dinner.
- The new restaurant is perched behind the ninth green, just steps away from the Pebble Beach Golf Academy and a short walk to the first tee of Pebble Beach Golf Links. This casual indoor and outdoor venue is set to open this fall.
The course will open for individual play and group events beginning April 16 with reservations available now. For more information and rates, view the website, or to book, call 866-214-8180.
The Hay Logo
The logo for The Hay was inspired by the story of Peter Hay serving as Chief Marshal for Bobby Jones during the 1929 U.S. Amateur at Pebble Beach, the first national golf championship contested west of the Mississippi River.
The visual inspiration for the logo came from a 1938 photo of a trained sea lion during a promotional shoot at Del Monte, where Hay was the head pro from 1919 to 1942.
About Pebble Beach Company
Pebble Beach Company, headquartered in Pebble Beach, Calif., owns and operates the world-famous Pebble Beach Resorts®, including The Lodge at Pebble Beach™, The Inn at Spanish Bay™, and Casa Palmero®. The company also operates four renowned golf courses: Pebble Beach Golf Links®, Spyglass Hill® Golf Course, The Links at Spanish Bay™, and Del Monte™ Golf Course. Its other famed properties include scenic 17-Mile Drive®, The Spa at Pebble Beach™, Pebble Beach Golf Academy™, and Pebble Beach® Equestrian Center. It annually hosts premier events such as the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, TaylorMade Pebble Beach Invitational presented by Dell Technologies, Pebble Beach® Food & Wine, and the PURE Insurance Championship Impacting The First Tee. Future site of the 2023 U.S. Women’s Open and 2027 U.S. Open Championships, Pebble Beach Golf Links® has hosted six U.S. Opens, five U.S. Amateurs, one PGA Championship, and numerous other tournaments. For reservations or more information, please call 800-654-9300 or visit pebblebeach.com.
About TGR Design
Established in 2006, the mission of TGR Design is to utilize Tiger’s worldwide experience, his limitless pursuit of excellence and his love of golf to create a unique collection of amazing golf courses around the world. Tiger believes that every project should be special and provide an outstanding golf experience. As a result, TGR Design seeks to find the best sites, select the best partners and create fantastic course designs. A cornerstone of every project, the TGR Design team works closely with each client to provide exceptional, customized service. Complementing this selective approach are the company’s design goals. Tiger Woods is famous for setting a high standard and working hard to surpass it. TGR Design is no different. Every project incorporates Tiger’s highest standards, personal vision and passion for golf as well as his international experience in the game.